Friday, May 1, 2009

Preparing to Retreat Day

Today, I am getting ready to go on the 9th grade confirmation retreat again. We go up to a YMCA camp called "Camp Friendship" where the confirmands chose confirmation verses and work on faith statements and create banners. We also do the "challenge course" they have -- a team-building exercise that is not awfully strenuous but takes creativity. (I say it's not strenuous but two years ago I got a terrible back spasm afterwards. I whimped out last year and didn't participate. We'll see this year.)

This is what "getting ready" means:

1. I take Scout to Day Care. She doesn't go very often, but she loves to play with other dogs, and then is pretty tired for the rest of the weekend when I'm gone. It makes her easier to handle if my husband is busy.

I've noticed lately that Scout doesn't try to escape or even run around the back yard as much as she used to. Sometimes I notice her and she's just sitting out in the back yard, staring at something almost as if she is meditating. It's like she just likes the spring weather and is content to experience everything in the present moment. This morning, however, we practically ran into a duck on our front lawn. She was not calm right at that moment.

2. I put bags of things I will need together at church. The materials for the "stations of the resurrection" devotional tonight; the worship books for communion; bread and wine.

3. I pack my bags for the weekend, hoping not to forget the book light, or the travel alarm (I don't have a cell phone) or the little Bible or shampoo.

4. Sleeping bag and pillow? check.

5. I will try to find a book for myself, even though I will probably not get to it.

Now I'm on my way to the grocery store to get the pita bread and something for supper. Soon we will be on the road. Pray for our 9th graders, that they grow in faith and experience God's love for them, and God's purpose for their lives in community.

6 comments:

Barbara B. said...

I hope the retreat goes well for all involved!

Terri said...

Sounds like a great retreat...hope all goes well!

And, my dog Roxie (the big one) loves to do that same thing - sit and look around like she's meditating on something profound or just really enjoying life....it's neat to see, I think.

Rev SS said...

Blessings on you ad retreatants!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Blessings on you and all those at the retreat.

Paul said...

Blessings indeed on all participants! May the youngsters learn from the examples of those around them that faith is a joyous and life-giving thing.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Praying for those on the retreat.