Monday, July 20, 2009

Waiting for Rain

.....don't know if we'll get it.

The grass is brown around here. My basil is wilting, despite some recent revival efforts. It was unseasonably cool last week, but is back to beautiful summer weather again, except for one thing:

We need rain.

I thought I heard a report that there was a chance of rain tonight. I am hoping for that. I'm hoping for the deep continuous soaking rain that refreshes and renews everything and everyone. However, my husband said that the TV radar showed it was just possible that the rain might miss us altogether, heading north.

I am also praying for people who are not just needing rain: they are in the midst of a serious drought. I received an Email from Lutheran World Relief (which is, by the way, a top-notch organization and one of the reasons I am Lutheran) about drought in East Africa.

Please keep them in your prayers.

A while back someone told me they visited our congregation, and they didn't really like the sermon that day because it was about water. This person said, "I like more practical sermons."

I wonder what she meant by that?

There is nothing more practical than water.

6 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Somewhere I heard/read that the need for water (both quantity and quality) will be the decisive action for us to wrestle with...and not oil.

Barbara B. said...

Yes, water is going to be an increasing concern...

Terri said...

Could totally use some rain here. Even though it is monsoon season we have had very little rain.

Jennifer said...

Just can't imagine what others are thinking, sometimes. We have a lot of educating to do here i this country on the use of water, I think.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

water... finally we got some rain last week, and a bit yesterday. blessed we are to have it... water... uhm baptism. birth. some folks are overlooking the basics i think... i have not used the sprinklers on the parsonage lawn yet... because really, shouldn't we save the water for uhm... food. plants. cattle. people? i'm sure some folks are 'clucking' about that too!

prayers...

Lauralew said...

As you may know, I'm vacationing in New England--and it has rained all but two of the 12 days I've been here. The East Coast is being socked with rain while other places are parched. Weird. Prayers for rain for you.