Thursday, October 29, 2009

Some More Hastily Reported Books

Many of these books deserve more time than I am giving them right now, but here are my latest:

39. Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. A woman's descent into early-onset Alzheimers. Really, really hard, good, thought-provoking book. Our church book-club read it.

40. Nubs: The True Story iof a Mutt, a Marine and Miracle, by Mjor Brian Dennis/Mary Nethery. Made me cry. If you love dogs, it will make you cry, too.

41. Writing to Change the World, by Mary Pipher. Inspiring, but not as helpful as I had thought. There is a chapter on blogging, though.

42. Had a Good Time: stories from American Postcards, by Robert Olen Butler. All the postcards are from the turn of the last century. Wonderful, multi-faceted stories. More later.....

5 comments:

Jan said...

Thanks, Diane. A friend gave me the one about writing to save the world after I went to Zambia, and I do not remember much about it. Maybe I should go find it and read about blogging.

Barbara B. said...

I am going to the library tonight to check out the Postcards book (I looked online and see that they have a copy --yay!)

Too bad Robert Olen Butler had that idea before I did! ;)

Diane M. Roth said...

I thought of you when I was reading it, Barb.

Jennifer said...

The only one of these I've read is Mary Pipher's. Once again, thanks for good leads!

Rev SS said...

Hard to beat anything Nouwen wrote .. I'm back from vacation and catching up on blog reading ... I too thought of Barb when I read about the post card book