Monday, March 29, 2010

Plain Old Socks... what's next?

... using pretty spectacular yarn.

I know they are what everyone called "plain vanilla socks", but this represents an achievement for me.

I'm looking for the next "hurdle," hoping to get out of knitting beginner status, but I have a problem with the way I purl (or knit and purl, in some people's view). (Or, maybe it's just that I'm left-handed.) Anyway, I've found trying to learn to do lacework challenging. I keep ripping it out.

I bought some great, beautiful sock yarn, but it's rather thinner than what I have used so far, and it makes my palms sweat, a little.

Any ideas?

7 comments:

Terri said...

knitting socks has on occasion caused me to have sweaty palms too...weird isn't it? But I suspect I am going to be a beginner status knitter for a long while....sigh. Plus, I won't learn to knit lacey cuffs until I take a class that teaches me. No good at following patterns at all...unless I have first seen it done.

Love these socks, though. Nice job!

Jan said...

Beautiful socks! I really like socks, anyway. They look difficult to me, as a non-knitter, and so I am impressed.

Diane M. Roth said...

I've always wanted to learn to knit socks. so there.

Robin said...

Oh, I think they're spectacular socks! I could never do that. I think you're a genius!

LoieJ said...

When I tried knitting I never felt comfortable, so I'm admiring your progress.

I'm also posting to see if blogger is working today. I can't seem to sign in elsewhere and I heard yesterday that blogger pictures had disappeared, but mine were ok.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Those are beautiful, and I don't consider socks a true beginner project.

But if you want to increase complexity without doing lace work, maybe you could try cables.

Diane M. Roth said...

Ruth, I respect you opinion. I've done a little work with cables, but only on bigger projects. I'm considering cables on socks.

also, thinner yarn, which also seems like a challenge.