Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent, Day 2: Wondering and Wandering, again

Today I must admit, I did not wander, much.  I didn't wander as much as I do on a normal day off, when we are flitting around getting errands done and pursuing fun.  We try to do some of each on a day off.

Today I laid pretty low, surrounded by mounds of kleenex, blowing my nose and sneezing and drinking tea.  I did go out, briefly, but knitted and napped mostly.

It rained and rained and rained all day, a cold cold rain, which I hear will freeze sometime tonight.  I did go out, briefly, to meet a grieving family and to plan a funeral.  We shared memories of a woman who loved to make hand-made gifts, who advocated for children in her school system, who teased her husband relentlessly, and who died too soon.

And today I wondered this:  I wonder what it means for our lives, for how we live our lives to know the truth that nothing will separate us from the love of God.  I wonder what it means for how we live to know that love is stronger than death -- which means as well that love is stronger than hate, and love is stronger than injustice, and love is stronger than prejudice. 

What does it mean for us to believe this?

One thing it means:  we sing.