Saturday, January 15, 2011

Counting My Blessings

I've been dismayed lately by my inability to get much of anything down in writing (other than sermons, and funeral sermons), so I thought I'd break the ice by counting a few of my blessings:
1.  I am re-reading A Wrinkle in Time from a hard-cover first edition (it's from the church library, with marks and everything so it's not worth anything, but still, it's cool.)
2.  I have a little Christmas money from my husband to buy an old book, if I want to.....
3.  I got an invitation to subscribe to "Poets and Writers" magazine today:  at a discount rate, because I am "part of the writing community."  Seriously.
4.  I got a card from a friend who lives in China today, as well.  Do you know how rare it is to get actual mail that isn't advertising or bills?  Mail that has your name handwritten on it?  This is a blessing.
5.  When I say to my dog, "sit", she sits.  When I say to my dog, "stay", she stays.
6.  The aforementioned dog smiles a lot, and also likes to run in the snow.
7.  I have not killed the Christmas poinsettia, yet.
8.  I actually have more yarn than I need.
9.  I can sing.  That's a really really big deal.
10.  There is oatmeal in the cupboard, there is orange juice in the refrigerator, and there are bananas and granola as well.  What else do I need?
11.  At Bible Study today, a man told a story: when his wife was dying, she asked him what time it was.  He looked at the clock and saw that it was 3:16.  So he recited John 3:16:  "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son..."  a good example of the difference between chronos and kairos, no?
12.  It is better to light a single candle than to curse the dark. 

2 comments:

Fran said...

Diane Diane Diane... wow. Such a great way to refocus and gain perspective.

I, as you know, got a card from China too. It is thrilling to get personal mail and from halfway around the world, thanks be to God!

I love the part about 3:16 and the intersection of chronos and kairos. Beautiful.

God bless you Diane, God bless you.

Jan said...

What a good idea! I felt happier reading your list. I loved "A Wrinkle in Time," and probably haven't read it since my kids did. Have you ever read "The Dark is Rising" series? I remember I liked them decades ago, but have not thought of them for a very long time. I'm glad you wrote.