Monday, January 3, 2011

On the 7th, 8th and 9th Days of Christmas...

okay, so I've been off line for a few days.  I haven't had access to internet, which (except for blogging) is probably a good thing for me.

Suffice it to say...

Everyone and their dog seemed to want to spend New Year's Eve at Epcot this Year.  I'm glad that we weren't among them.  We were at Epcot early in the day, but returned to our hotel for a wonderful dinner and quiet evening together.  (sadly, without Scout.)

We have been keeping a good balance between rest and activity.  I'm almost done with my first book of the new year, The Sisters from Hardscrabble Bay: Fiction.  I'll let you know.....

I also read the children's book Snowflake Bentley (Caldecott Medal Book).  One of my New Year's Resolutions (If I had New Year's Resolutions) is that I am going to read more children's books.  Also, one of my criteria of a good book:  if it makes my eyes wet.  Snowflake Bentley made my eyes wet.

I've been knitting here.  I finished a pair of red cable footies, and have begun a pair of lime green cable footies.  (Right now, it's all cable footies, all the time...)

And, we're been doing some things too...

Epcot, Seaworld, Kennedy Space Center (although that would be the 10th Day of Christmas)....

on this the 10th day of christmas, already, I do have a short list of things I want to tackle, or do differently, this year:

1.  keep track of my reading, read in many genres and include children's books
2.  get one more article published this year
3.  buck an authority
4.  speak the truth in some strategic times and places
5.  print out some of those healthy recipes for two I found...
6.  give thanks for what (and who) I have

6 comments:

Fran said...

The knitting, the reading, the offline part - all sound lovely. Enjoy your vacation Diane. I love your list too - good wishes for you on all of that.

Tracy said...

Have you read The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo?

http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Despereaux-princess-thread-ebook/dp/B002NC733K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294151452&sr=8-5

It was made into a film, but the kids and I are enjoying the book, although I doubt Jack would admit that. I think it's about a 2nd or 3rd grade level and Jack could read this on his own (though in truth, it's probably more appealing to girls), it's fun to read this aloud to them.

I think I may join you in trying to read more children's books this year.

Diane M. Roth said...

hey Tracy -- I have not read that one although I enjoyed Because of Winn-Dixie, and the Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (or something like that).

I'm thinking about starting with an old one, "Thimble Summer." Also re-read "A Wrinkle in Time." And speaking of Jack (we were, weren't we?) has he ever read "Holes"? I think he would enjoy that one.

Terri said...

I downloaded several new sock patterns - but they start with the toe and work on three kneedles - totally different approach for me...not sure I can adapt it to the way I learned to make socks...sigh...

anyway - glad you enjoyed your trip.

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

i can see the well-read, widely-published author back home already... in her study, wearing one lime green and one red cabled footie... because deadline was approaching and who has time to match socks at a moment like that?

LoieJ said...

If you get a chance, read the Relatives Came by Reilant (?? SP??) and illustrated by Gammell. If you read it, let me know and I'll tell you why is is so special. The illustrator has also won a caldecot.