Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Reading the Bible in 90 Days, Day 43: Psalm 89 - Psalm 108

I've been spending a few days with the Psalms now, and it occurs to me, when you read a whole bunch of Psalms at one time (something I don't do very often), that they seem, um, sort of -- Manic/depressive.  One minute, it's "God, don't turn your back on me; this is my cry for help" (from Psalm 102), and the next:  "Oh my soul, bless God!  don't forget a single blessing." (from Psalm 103)

From the height of praise to the depths of lament, the Psalms have a song for it.  There's are psalms that make you blush for the hatred of enemies expressed and psalms that make you ache for the desperation of one hanging by a thread, and psalms that make you want to sing because of the goodness of God, who rescues us just in the nick of time.  The Psalmists do not censor their prayers.  They are honest.  Perhaps that's why I love the Psalms, even when I don't like them.

As high as heaven is over the earth
so strong is his love to those who fear him.
And as far as sunrsie is from sunset,
he has separated us from our sins... (Psalm 103)

Tomorrow:  Read Psalms 109 - 134.
and Friday:  Psalm 135 - Proverbs 6

And if you are interested in knowing more about the Psalms, I recommend Psalms for Sojourners, by James Limburg, which is a great overview.
Or, read Eugene Peterson's book A Long Obedience In the Same Direction, which specifically refers to the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120-134)

No comments: