Friday, August 5, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

So, I've been helping out with Vacation Bible School (Pre-school edition) this week.  I have peeked in on the song time, but mostly, I tell the story every day.

First, let me say that I am happy that I am not the leader of the Pre-school Vacation Bible School.  I admire our Children's Ministry Coordinator, who is so flexible and patient and yet firm with children, some of whom have not had much experience with any kind of school environment yet. 

It's sort of organized chaos. 

But it's great!  and it's fun to watch them learn the songs, and the stories and warm up to each other, too.  Wednesday, they learned the story of Jonah and Thursday we learned a story about Jesus.  Jonah and Jesus both start with the letter, "J", you know.

When I mentioned Jesus, they told me that they liked Jesus.

Today, on the last day, a grandma who has been helping with the program whispered in my ear. 

She brings her granddaughters to Vacation Bible School.  She's been bringing them for a few years now.  The oldest one is not a pre-schooler any more.  The two younger girls were in the class though.  They don't go to our church, but they're active participants in a Catholic Parish. 

So, she told me that her oldest grand-daughter informed her recently that she wants to be a priest when she grows up.  I said, "hmmm."

Sometime during the week, she let her grand-daughters know that I was their minister.

One of them replied, "When I grow up, I want to be a Lutheran."

Who knows?  Maybe she will be a Lutheran.  Or maybe she'll be one of the leaders who will change her own church.

You never know what will come out of Pre-School Vacation Bible School.

No comments: