Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Apostles Creed, redux

After my father died, we were going through old photo albums and scrapbooks together, and I found the bulletin from my commissioning service, just before I was going to Japan to be a missionary.

As part of the service, I wrote my own "creed" and interspersed my own confessions between the community's recitation of the three articles.  I hadn't yet been to seminary, and only had a couple of College religion classes under my belt, so I don't know which of the major heresies I committed.  

Anyway, for your perusal:

All:  I believe in God, the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
Candidate:  I believe is he always before me.  He created me before my birth, giving me unfolding individuality.  He knew and nurtured my ideas and thoughts, plans and dreams.  He knows all of the impossible things I want to do in my life.  He clears the way ahead of me.  He makes the roads I travel upon; he is the creator of all of the tasks that I undertake.  I believe in God the Father Almighty.

All:  I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.  He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.  He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.  He descended into hell.  On the third day he rose again.  He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father.  He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
Candidate:  I believe he is always beside me.  We walk side by side in our Father's service, he, giving me strength, I, telling the story of his love.  He is the purpose behind all my plans; his story is theme behind all my life.  I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.

All:  I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.  Amen.
Candidate:  I believe he is always behind me.  He is the still small voice of God, who steers me along, whispering in my ears, telling me to have hope even when things look dark.  he calls me ahead daily into uncharted and unknown countries, while guarding me against too hasty retreats.  I believe in the Holy Spirit.

No comments: