Monday, January 18, 2016

Today

Today I took my pad of paper and some big books to a place where I could get a breakfast sandwich and some coffee.  I read and ate and took notes with the big books spread out in front of me.  I read the two parts of Jesus' sermon to his hometown in Nazareth, about how he was filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, and picked up the scroll to read.

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor," I read.  I underlined the part about Jesus being filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, and thought about it.

"Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Today.  That's what he said.

Maybe it was just for emphasis.  Today.  Right now.  That is what is most important.  What you do, or don't do today.  Where you are today.

Today I studied and thought about the power of the Holy Spirit, in Jesus, and in us.  I thought about the power of the Holy Spirit that pushes out into the world, that Jesus' mission is now our mission.  I also did laundry. Two loads.  It was time.  I called a couple of people, but, to be honest, there were a couple of people I should have called, but I didn't.  I got a little farther in planning my theme for Lent.  I got an appointment for my car.

Today I went over to the pre--school for a little while.  I saw some of the very little ones out on the playground.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  So I went out to watch them play and to talk to them.  They wanted to show me their jackets, tennis shoes and cowboy boots.  They were sliding down the slide with glee.  Again and again.

The best moment was when a little girl saw me and recognized me.  She started running to me, and threw her arms around my legs.  Today.

Today I put in a casserole for supper, and made some steamed broccoli.  I ate a Cara Cara Orange for the first time.  I talked to a friend on the phone.  I frittered away some time, not paying attention.

Today I studied, and I played and I stood in the sun, and Jesus spoke to me.

I didn't understand what he said, but somehow he gave me hope.

No comments: